Monday, September 19, 2011

Leap of Faith - on Canvas


















I've been working on pieces mounted on canvas and Leap of Faith is one of them.  I described how I designed the original image in my post:  Saturday's Source:  Leap of Faith.  This time, I printed out the image on fabric and then made a mini-quilt with it.  I did the quilting on my new sewing machine, a Pfaff.


















This is Princess.  No, that's not the model - it's what I named her.  I still have my old sewing machine that I've had since 1978, and it's a Viking.  So the two machines are known as the Viking and the Princess.
















I was trying out one of Princess's fancy stitches around the edge of the quilt.  Once the quilting was done, I used glue to mount the mini-quilt onto an 8"x10" canvas.






















I painted the edges of the canvas with black acrylic paint.  After the quilt was mounted, I coated it with Mod Podge (like white glue) to give it a protective finish.

4 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely! You ARE having fun!

Lee Pierce said...

Wow! What a great project!
New sewing machine? Printing on fabric? I am curious about the fabric printing.
Beautiful work, Jean!

NCmountainwoman said...

Just beautiful! I love it.

Jean Baardsen said...

Thanks for your comments!

@Lee - I print on fabric sheets that go through my inkjet printer. I've bought them from Dick Blick. Here's a link to the page in their catalog: http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacquard-cotton-and-silk-inkjet-fabric-kit/ The printer sheets come in both silk and cotton.