Friday, March 27, 2009

Day Lily

I have so many projects started and so many things that I want to try, that I was getting seriously bogged down! To get myself going again, I decided to just work on small pieces for a while. Of course, rather than finish a WIP, I started something new.

Looking through our photographs, I found a photo of a day lily that had once graced our backyard. I thought it would make a lovely small quilt. I opened the photo in Photoshop and played with it for a while. Cropping, and some filters, gave me the image on the right. I sized the image at 8x10 inches. (You can click on the images to see enlarged versions of the pictures.)
My next step was to use my inkjet printer to print the image onto a cotton fabric printer sheet. I then made a quilt sandwich and machine quilted the piece. The image had printed on the pale side, so I used magic markers to enhance the color, and then continued with extensive thread painting until I was satisfied with the mini art quilt's resemblance to my original Photoshop image.

Since I was planning to mount my mini art quilt onto a gallery-wrapped 8x10 inch canvas, I scanned the back of the quilt to show off the extensive thread painting.

My last step was to paint an 8x10 inch canvas with dark green acrylic paint, and mount the mini quilt onto the canvas. I was pleased with the final result. And here's my Day Lily mini art quilt!

No comments: