Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Numbers 24, 25, and 26

PROJECT:  Create 88 - 8" x 8" Canvases

PARAMETERS:  Fiber Art (including textiles, fabrics, gauze, cheesecloth, yarn, thread, embroidery floss, wool roving, and paper), mounted on 8" x 8" canvases.

GOAL:  Create hardcover book, showcasing this art.

A friend, Cora Mae, gave me some Shibori fabrics she had dyed.  I decided to use three cuts from the beautiful fabrics for today's pieces.
Cora Mae's Shibori Fabrics
#24 - The first picture is the cut piece of fabric:
Fabric used in #24
I saw a flower in this image.  I used a white POSCA paint pen to lighten the "petals."  Then I added extensive machine stitching.  I cropped the piece before adding the blanket stitch around the edges.
#24 - 8" x 8" canvas
#25 - the cut fabric:
Fabric used in #25
This time I envisioned a landscape.  First, I fused on a couple extra pieces of fabric near the bottom of the image.  Again, I used extensive machine stitching.
#25 - 8" x 8" canvas
#26 - I stared at this next fabric for a long time.
Fabric used in #26
In the end, I decided I couldn't really improve on the design.  (It's rotated a quarter turn in the next image.)  Like the others, this fabric was mounted on stiff interfacing.  After cropping, I added the blanket stitch around the edges, and called it good enough!
#26 - 8" x 8" canvas
Till next time...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very lovely!!! So unique. Marsha Pearce

Jean Baardsen said...

Thanks, Marsha! Hope you had a great time in Mexico!

CoraMae Pipkin said...

Love what you did with the Shibori pieces! I may have some more if you would like them!! You are so creative!!

Jean Baardsen said...

Thanks, Cora Mae. I'd take whatever you wanted to pass on! It was fun to work with these pieces.