Monday, November 27, 2017

1985 (7) - The Balearic Islands

Mermaid.  An art quilt. 20" x 16"  Detail

To go to the beginning of this book, Tropic Moon: Memories, click HERE.

In mid-May we did an overnight passage from Almeria, on the Costa del Sol, to the beautiful Spanish islands of the Balearics:  Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera.  When we left Almerimar, we had a 250-mile sail to Ibiza, which took us fifty hours.  During that trip we were able to sail about one-third of the time, motor about a third, and motor sail, when the wind wasn't quite strong enough to do the trick, for the remaining third.  As the wind came and went, the sails went up and down quite a few times.  We left the steering to the autopilot.  We were free to watch or sleep or read as we pleased, with one of us keeping an eye out for other shipping.  

Mermaid.  An art quilt. 20" x 16"

Ed and I kept our regular watches.  One of mine was from midnight to 4:00 a.m.  On the second night of the trip, I was nearing the end of my night watch.  The wind was gradually dying yet again.  Only the jib sail was still up, but I hesitated going forward on the rolling foredeck to take it down by myself, preferring to wait for Ed's assistance.  I called him fifteen minutes early.  He came on deck, took down the sail, and we started the engine.  While up forward, Ed noticed several dolphins playing around the bow. 

Mermaid.  An art quilt. 20" x 16"  Detail

Though it was quite dark, the dolphins were plainly visible.  Their movements through the water generated phosphorescence, giving them the appearance of silver torpedoes streaking through the sea. Starting the engine didn't disturb them - they seemed enlivened by Tropic Moon's movement, porpoising through the water alongside the prow, and diving back and forth under the boat, through the phosphorescent bow wave generated by Tropic Moon's passage.  Though only a few minutes before I had been on the verge of falling asleep, I was now fully awake.  I watched the beautiful silvered dolphins at play until common sense finally took me below to my bed.  

No comments: